Are you stressed about how to find the best professional painting contractor for your next commercial or residential painting project? Are you seriously looking for a team of painters who can handle big commercial and residential projects? The reason we're asking these questions is that (no offence to anybody), there are plenty of "wannabe" painters in Lagos. They are in other big cities too.
There are tons of 'painting companies' or 'painting contractors' in Lagos, but not many have the skill or the attention to details that our discriminating clients are looking for. And when you add to it an insane amount of people looking for work in a most sluggish and tanking economy, you can understand why many people or little companies are grabbing few brushes and a 'Ghana Must Go Bag' and brag about how good a painting job they do.
Even those that are so happy to tell you of their many decades of painting, fail to tell you that they were not properly trained in the art of painting. In other words, they have been repeating their poor training or lack of it for all these years. Sadly, people continue to pay such peddlers.
You see in Lagos, it is not hard to find people with a couple of painting brushes and rollers masquerading as professional painters. When you pay peanuts you get monkeys. So you get not the professionals that are excited by their craft and eagerness to to 'wow' the client, but lazy and untrained fellows with no knowledge of the art of professional painting.
Such individuals without any knowledge of painting and out of desperation are eager to offer you the cheapest price, garnished with a smooth talk designed to tickle untrained ears. No matter how good the story sounds, if the estimate that you're given is nowhere close to the cost of the painting supplies for your project, then the price must be too good to be true. Go figure!
So would you agree with us that using a professional painting contractor would take some stress out of other stressful activities of your painting project? The question is: How do you find a painting contractor that would not take you to the cleaners and at the same time make you feel awesome about the whole 'wow' painting experience?
To avoid hiring a painting contractor that you would regret, use the following tips to find the right professional painting company for your next painting project:
Ask Your Friends And Associates
Quality Vs. Time
Get Painting Estimates From At Least Three Painting Contractors
Interview Each Candidate
- How long have you been in business?
- What type of painting projects does your company specialize in – new construction, residential repaints, condominiums or commercial properties?
- Are you licensed as a professional painter?
- Is your company going to do the work or are you sub-contracting it?
- What is going to be painted?
- How much masking, taping and covering with drop cloths will be involved?
- What is the extent of surface restoration?
- What is the method of paint application – spraying, brushing or rolling?
- How many coats of paint will be applied?
- What types of paints, primers and finishes would be used?
- How many painters would be involved in your painting project?
- When would you start and finish the painting?
Do you have references?
Be Specific About The Project
Importantly, be specific as
possible about which surfaces
you want to have painted (walls,
trims, mouldings, ceilings, etc.)
the colours of paint and
finishes you want to be used.
Pay Attention To Behavior
- Does the contractor project a sense of professionalism and experience?
- Is the contractor courteous and business-like?
- Is the contractor busy? (Good ones usually are.)
- Does the contractor return phone calls and provide estimates in a timely manner?
Is the contractor on time for appointments?
Review The Contract
- Make sure that what is to be painted is specified in detail.
- Are details of masking and covering outlined?
- How about surface preparation?
- Are the paint colours and types of paint that would be used for each area specified?
- How much time would it take to complete the job?
- How many painters would be involved?
- When and how would the contractor be paid?
Choose Your Contact Option
- Get Your Painting Estimate