Are you interested in learning how bathtubs are refinished? Are you among those that don't know that bathtubs can be refinished?
If you didn't know that bathtubs can be refinished, reglazed or resurfaced, you are not alone. In fact, many people don't know that bathtubs can be refinished or the process involved in refinishing a bathtub.
should interest you to know that
bathtub refinishing has been
around as an industry for
approximately 40 years.
During that time, the materials
used to refinish a bathtub have
changed dramatically, but the
steps utilized in the
preparation of the bathtub have
not. We will acquaint you
with how bathtubs were
refinished when the industry
started and how bathtubs are
We will acquaint you with how bathtubs were refinished when the industry started and how bathtubs are refinished today.
As you learn about the
process of bathtub refinishing,
you will appreciate that it a
much better alternative to
bathtub replacement that has
been the norm for many years in
so many countries around the
As you learn about the process of bathtub refinishing, you will appreciate that it a much better alternative to bathtub replacement that has been the norm for many years in so many countries around the world.
Hydrofluoric Acid was used to “etch” or rough up the surface of the bathtub which would then help the coatings to stick to the porcelain bathtub or tile. If this material is mishandled it can cause damage to fixtures, floor tile or burns to the skin of the technician.
Bonding agents are basically a type of “super glue”. When this “super glue” is applied to the surface of the bathtub, the new coating will be chemically fused to the surface of the bathtub. This process has proven to be the best method to allow coatings to adhere to the surface and is less likely to peel.
Steps Taken To Refinish A Bathtub
The first step taken in refinishing a bathtub is that the bathtub is scrubbed clean with a powerful detergent so as to remove any soap film build-up or residual film left behind by household cleaners.
- The tub is rinsed and dried completely using a high temperature heat gun to remove all moisture with special attention placed on the drain area and the area where tub meets surrounding tiled walls.
- Paper masking is installed around the tub to prevent over spray from getting on the tiles. Other areas of the bathroom will be masked off with plastic if necessary.
- Bonding agent is applied to the surface of the tub.
- High Gloss Acrylic Urethane topcoat is applied.
- Slip resistant surface is applied to the floor of the tub.
A ventilator is used which helps remove over spray and fumes from the bathroom area. It pulls the air from the room and with it the over spray and dust particles. This piece of equipment is placed in the window of the bathroom, or if there is no window in the bathroom, a hose is attached and directed to the nearest window or door. All materials are applied using an HVLP spray system.
Materials Used To Refinish A Bathtub
- Specifically formulated bonding agent for use on porcelain bathtubs and ceramic tile only.
- We use another bonding agent that is designed specifically for fiberglass shower/tub units.
- The finish coating is a high performance; two-component chemically cured Aliphatic Acrylic Urethane Gloss Enamel. 4H pencil hardness makes this product one of the most durable on the market. UVA (ultraviolet light absorber) added to prevent product, once applied, from turning yellow.
Bathtub Refinishing Vs. Bathtub Replacement
- Tub surface is worn from
years of cleaning with abrasive
cleaners such as Ajax or Comet
- The surface is difficult
to keep clean
- The colour of your bathtub
- The surface has become
damaged or was chipped
- Save thousands of
naira vs. replacing
- Back in service in 24
hours vs. 1 - 2 Weeks
that is the case with bathtub replacement.
If you are serious about refinishing your bathtub to save you time, money and the environment, please choose the option that most describes your needs:
Make Your Bathtub Refinishing Choice
- Get Your Bathtub Refinishing Estimate